Here is a list I made last year in my actual journal. These are less obvious ways having kids has drastically affected my life:
1. My order of operations is no longer the most logical order to do things, but what will be more catastorphic if I don't get it done. For example, I put my clothes on first, then deodorant, then lotion, because if there's a sceaming kid, clothes are more critical, even though it is easier to put on deodorant with clothes on.
2. I have a hard time maintaining eye contact during conversations even when the kids aren't around because I'm so used to tracking kids actions while doing everything.
3. Saturday sleeping in and sunday naps are nearly inexistant.
4. I know all the names of construction equipment. I always wondered when I worked on a construction site and had to log what equipment was on site, why I didn't know the names and everyone else did. And now I know. Because they were all little boys once.
5. I used to love movies. We watched lots. Now, it's different. I don't have much patience for them. Devoting a consecutive 2 1/2 hour block to a movie usually is just not worth it. There's either too many things to do or I'd rather just go to sleep.
6. I instinctly rock in a rocking chair even when I don't have a baby in my arms to sooth.
7. I used to always have lower back pain when I would wake up in the morning anytime I slept 8 hours or more. Now, I'm healed! While my boys all sleep rather well, I really never am in bed for that length of time without getting up at least once. Gotta look on the bright side, eh?
8. I feel very strange and a little lost whenever I walk anywhere without pushing a stroller.
I agree with most every point on that list! Especially feeling lost without a stroller. I imagine we'll be okay once we're on that "golden years" cruise i dream about.
ReplyDelete