As I think back on all the things I have done and not written about on my blog, I had an idea. I have purposely set up my blog for an extremely limited audience of only those who are particularly close to my heart. So, I wanted to do a list of my favorite times I have done with each of you over the last year. So, here goes. You may either skip to your own, or read them all.
My Dad - This December, when the family came to visit, we woke up at some unreasonable and dark hour and went out on a hike together. Hiking alone with Dad is such a special experience at this hour. It is quiet, still, and purposeful. I love that he stops, listens, and raises his binoculars, stopping for longer than I ever would on my own to see a bird flying or just the sun shining on rocks. I truly felt the connection that he has with nature on this trail along the beautiful powerful waves and canyons of sage brush.
Chelsey - This March when we visited Mississippi, we sat in the warm, humid, dark evening on my parents screened front porch around our dinner table while our little kids told knock knock jokes to each other. Some of them were funny, and some of them didn't make any sense, which was even more funny. It was a soft experience that made me wish we had more times to share together in this time in our life that is very different than the many times we have spent together.
Katie - This same March Mississippi visit, we had a morning run together along the Biloxi beach. It was fun to run in step with each other.
Ammon - Okay, so it is a toss-up for me on you, Ammon. My first favorite was running the mud mash together and having you come back to fake finish with me so we could have a picture of us both running across the finish line. And then I loved having Tanner climb up onto your lap on the couch all through Christmas and peek at your nintendo game or throw a book on your lap for you to read for him.
My Mom - When we came out this March, I have to say that going to the library with you and my boys really stuck out for me. I know that seems a little simple. But it was just something that you do when you are not on vacation, and it was one of those simple little experiences we had that made me yearn to have you live close to us, so you could share your love of learning and reading with my kiddos.
Cami - My favorite thing was certainly having you text me a picture of your wedding dress that you bought. It was fun to see you "as a princess" as described by Tanner, especially since you tend toward not trying to look like a princess. And to be so excited for you to get married to Dan. Look forward to loving him even more than I do now!
Isaac - I loved having you describe all the various little Yomodo drawings that you and Dad have come up with. I love your love for drawing.
Ethan - I really have enjoyed many times of sitting next to you building legos. Probably my favorite is the model we built of our own house. You always have great ideas for how to make things work and are patient when I get distracted and start sorting legos instead.
Carter - I have enjoyed our special time of going out to eat for lunch on Mondays when Ethan is at school and Tanner is at Cassidy's. I love that you pick one of my very favorite restaurants, and it is so fun to sit there and sip smoothies together and talk about your school day.
Tanner - (not a reader, but I can't include everyone in my little family except him, right?) I love going on walks down to the beach with you when we are in no rush to get there, so I am patient enough to enjoy all of the things that you spot. Cats, boats, whatever. I love your little happy dialog that is so consistant as we walk.
Dylan - I have loved climbing on various rocks with you. Probably my favorite this year was in Yosemite. Thank you for finally taking me there. We climbed up some giant, slippery boulders to a beautiful pool of water with a cascading waterfall. Very fun.
Myself - I have loved having the one day a week that I swap babysitting so I have time by myself. I have loved sitting on top of various mountains, enjoying the beauty of this place I get to live, sweating and thinking.
Alissa - Alissa is always a riot, but Alissa set free of kids was soooo fun. I so much enjoyed her dancing on the bed in the hotel room when we went for Warrior Dash singing, "Every Day I'm Shuffling."
Karisa - Of the many fun times together this year, my favorite is the giant smile on your face as you crossed that finish line and gave me a big, muddy hug. Thanks for running with me. I loved it.
Jen - Okay, Jen, I have loved talking on the phone to you. We have done many other things together this year, but I love talking through our little and big life dilemmas. A few years back I had a conversation with Kelly Hansen about how she talked to her sister on the phone everyday, and I was completely shocked how anyone could possibly do that. I was like, "What do you talk about?!" But when I haven't talked to you in a few days, it is a few days too long.
Chris and Ali - I have loved watching you guys be parents to a soft, sweet baby girl. You guys are awesome parents of boys, and you have some really sweet boys, but there is something very special about having a little girl that you are soft with. I'm jealous, but in a very loving way.
Carin - Okay, so I didn't see you this year, or last year, or the year before, but you are still one of my very favorite people, and I really love that I was friends with you when you had kids and before I had them, because I learned a lot from you. But if I had done something with you this year, I would have come run that race in Oklahoma City (right?) where you run up the stairs of the tall buildings. Looked fun.
Jared & Amy - I also didn't get to see you this year, but would have loved to have come up for the sealing and adoption of your little Abby.
Thomeys - It was so fun to go ziplining with you two in December. You guys always make me laugh, and it was fun to spend time with you when I am not distracted by primary, or making dinner, or having my kids climbing all over me.
Frank and Elaine - I loved having you guys come and share with Ethan and the rest of us the powerful experiences you have had in your life with the Holy Ghost. Thank you for coming for his special day. It meant a lot to have you there.
That is everyone, I think. Thank you loyal readers. Here's to another great year together.
Thanks for posting, I read all of them, even the people I don't know :) I miss you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI loved running with you! Here's to creating more memories together in 2013!
ReplyDeleteI feel so honored to be on your list! (and I am not saying that sarcastically!) I miss being close to you. You are an amazing person!
ReplyDeleteI love this. . . I need to be here more often. I also love talking on the phone with you. . . . hey, we can still do that when you are in Carmel, right?
ReplyDelete