Monday, March 5, 2012

Miso Soup


See this?  I made it!!!  I'm getting pretty good at figuring out ingredients in things that I taste, but there are a number of things that I have tasted and retasted, and have had absolutely no idea where to start in duplicating the flavors.  And miso soup is one of those things.  And after some research and a trip to the oriental market, I did it!  Spot on.  I would like to thank Alton Brown and also the sushi book that I borrowed from the library.  And it is no wonder I didn't know how to make it.  The broth has four ingredients and the only one I'd ever even had in my kitchen was water.  And making california rolls was similarly not as scary as expected, once I had a recipe and ingredients.  So, I'm excited to have crossed another thing off the list of things I eat in restaurants but don't know how to make.    There are still a few more out there, like Pad Prik King (Thai food with this smooth sweet spicy paste and green beans and kaffir lime leaves), Malai Kofta (indian meatless meatballs in yummy cream sauce), tres leche cake, and a good warm cheesy spinach artichoke dip.  I'm sure there are more things I am at a loss on, but those are some that come to mind.  Oh, and I will provide recipes upon request, but am optimizing my time with two boys asleep at the same time, so wasn't going to type it all out right now.

Other than that, I'm still working on getting ready for my warrior dash coming up in less than a month, and I booked tickets to go to mississippi for a week for spring break, like two days after the dash.  And am excited to see everyone in my family but Ammon!  As in, I'm not seeing Ammon; not I'm seeing him, but not excited about it.   

2 comments:

  1. I love miso soup- your food looks delicious. Next will you extend your expertise to rolls with raw fish? I would guess it's not too hard to find really fresh fish in your neck of the woods.

    Excited to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it too. I am a little scared of raw fish. I don't know what makes me think that the fish at a restaurant is different than the fish I would buy at our fish market, but I'm a little wary still. But someday.

      Mississippi is coming up so soon! Excited to see you too!

      Delete